About the Journal
To provide a forum where primarily undergraduate students communicate a diversity of ideas and information on issues concerning conservation, sustainability and climate adaptation.
- Establish a publication that allows undergraduate students from all disciplines to discuss, explore, reflect upon and develop understandings about conservation, sustainability and climate adaptation.
- Create a forum for undergraduate students from all disciplines to express, communicate, and voice their understandings, knowledge, and ideas on the topics of conservation, sustainability and climate adaptation.
- Develop a critical mass of information that identifies and acknowledges the diversity of undergraduate student understandings regarding the topics of conservation, sustainability and climate adaptation.
- Establish an undergraduate student presence online that articulates student research, writing, editing and creativity with respect to conservation, sustainability and climate adaptation.
- Connect and liaise with internal and external human resources that add to the knowledge base of conservation, sustainability and climate adaptation.
- Create a peer-review committee for the purposes of submission selection and content rigour.
- Engage students at all levels, where possible, to ensure that Earth Common Journal is student-driven and managed.
Earth Common Journal (ECJ) is published once a year in the fall.
Article Review Process
- Author submits article by registering online in Earth Common Journal.
- Article is assigned to a Peer-review member for assessment and selection for publication in Earth Common Journal.
- If the article meets the criteria of the peer-reviewer, then the article is assigned to an Editor. Earth Common Journal uses a double-blind system that ensures that the peer-reviewers and authors are anonymous to each other.
- Editor(s) and author(s) work collaboratively to refine the article(s) until ready for publication.
- Editor(s) work with the author(s) to determine any supporting content for the article including but not limited to visuals, audio, and video.
- The editor(s) send the finished copy of the article to the peer-reviewer for a final review before publishing.
- Final version of the article, visuals, and multi-media are sent to the Layout Editor for placement in the Earth Common Journal site or Earth Common website.
- Content is inserted into the appropriate section within the Earth Common Journal site or Earth Common website for publication.
This journal utilizes the LOCKSS system to create a distributed archiving system among participating libraries and permits those libraries to create permanent archives of the journal for purposes of preservation and restoration.
Open Access Policy
ECJ provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge.